Thursday, October 18, 2007

Find A Reliable Computer With XP by AJ Dowell

The fear of Vista is keeping many fine folks from purchasing a computer, and for good reason. Vista is new and has more bugs than my first apartment. The new Windows Vista operating system is something I personally am passing on, and here's why.
The Vista Home Premium OS takes 20 gigs of storage space and a minimum of 1 gig of memory to run it. The system runs slow after a very short period of time. Vista Home Basic still requires 512mb RAM just to run it. Duo-Core processors help the speed some, but not enough to justify owning the sluggish OS.
After personally testing the Vista OS, I’m more than convinced to stick with my XP Pro I currently use. I tested Vista at the office supply store Staples for hours, day after day, for weeks. I’m still wondering how my dinosaur computer outperforms each machine I tested. The machines crawl that have Vista and there are so many printers, other hardware, and software that are not compatible with the new OS.
There are a few places to purchase a system with XP, while most stores are sold out. You can order one from Dell, but I’d think twice. My friend that’s a technician for Staples says Dell and Emachines are worked on more than any other machine he gets. And most memory for a Dell is not found at stores, but from Dell only. This allows Dell to charge what they want to for the proprietary ram. Rent to own stores still carry XP systems, but you don’t know what you get from a place like that because chances are you’re getting a returned machine with other people’s garbage left on it. I found several new machines with XP on them and some that have XP Media Center.
LinksforWriters.com has a Staples affiliate link that has computers with XP on them and at a very good price. The memory to upgrade these machines is easily purchased at many office supply and computer stores including Staples. Technical Support and Protection Plans are available for the machines at a fraction of the price of the machine, which can give you piece of mind if a problem does arise. There’s no restocking fee for a returned item, unlike NewEgg.com and others.
Stick with a proven and reliable operating system that has fewer issues for now. In a few years, maybe I might consider Vista if Microsoft can get they’re act together. Until then, I’ll use XP.
AJ Dowell is the owner of several business's and publishes a free newsletter available from his website at http://linksforwriters.com Writer Resources such as office supplies, novel software, writing classes, web hosting, contests, and more are available at Links for Writers. AJ helps people become independently wealthy with the help of his mentors and website http://www.dowellandassociates.com
Never confuse motion with action-Ernest Hemingway
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=AJ_Dowell

No comments: